Monday, August 27, 2012

Living with RA -- The Bitch


RA, short for rheumatoid arthritis, is my companion.  I didn't ask her to come along for this ride, didn't invite, imply or deserve her company -- one day she just crashed the party and she never left.  Then she went totally nuts.

Who is this RA?  Well she is a misguided, confused, and nasty little thing who insists that she is doing me a favor.  She riles up my internal army, MY own immune system, and gets them to march off to war.  She INSISTS there is war. There is no war -- it is all in her head. But she insists and leads her equally confused army off to battle every god damned day.  And now she thinks that I am the enemy. She is a lot like Hitler, she has a charisma that instills a fervor in her followers -- they never question her; they never doubt her; they just rally and roll.  They no longer listen to me, their genetic master. They have forgotten the common language we spoke for 27 years.  She is a powerful leader and I have utterly lost control of the army. Wasn't this my party?

There are times it seems they have retreated into the hills -- sending out only small guerilla forces, engaging in small skirmishes in random places. They really are insane. I think those times they are just in training, getting stronger, more organized and more determined. Damn this girl is messed up.  I have tried to talk to her, reason with her but she is convinced that I am part of a great conspiracy to rid the world of her.  She is right.  For a while I would have been willing to reason with her -- now I want her dead.  Drawn, quartered and offered up to the devil himself. I have to keep those thoughts to myself though.  I must continue to be kind, to be gentle and to be patient.  When I get riled somehow she knows it.  She has spies who send messages back to camp.  She knows there is a price on her head but I have to make certain she doesn't know that it is me who wants to collect that bounty. Hell I don’t want the money -- I just want her dead. The moment she perceives a threat she raises holy hell.

She is mean too and narcissistic; everything has to be about her.  When something else is going on, when I am down, when I am struggling with some emotion or other physical pain she has to put on a bigger show.  She hates it when someone else gets the attention.  Again, she must have spies in every region of my body who run back to her and tell her that she is losing her limelight… She thinks the whole world is hers anyway and any sort of perceived weakness must be destroyed.  So when I am weak she is more hell-bent than ever. Sick, sick, sick.

What is crazy is I don't know where she got her training!  She is a bit like Mendel too -- a mad scientist. She breeds and produces an army at an uncanny rate.  She must be gestating them in jars or something -- Brave New Fucking World.  I have had to resort to buying my army -- hired guns really and I can't seem to buy them fast enough to keep pace with her production rate. They do their best in a land that is not their own -- their heart isn't in it -- it isn't their land they are defending.  Think about, she has invaded my own land with my own people and turned them against me. My hired army is very expensive and she knows it.  I don't have the luxury of releasing my army for surprise attacks.  They show up, regularly schedule once a month -- I inject them into my thigh, hoping that they can seek her out and destroy her. 

My army is usually moderately successful.  They take out a lot of her forces -- but with that breeding factory she has she never runs out of soldiers.  She never has to go into battle herself either.  She just sits on her throne, eating Turkish Delight, ordering her minions to do her bidding.  I on the other hand am exhausted after 27 years -- I am in every single skirmish, battle and scrap. I am beat.  I grow old; she never ages. There is no end to this war.  She is betting on the come that I will give up, retreat, bruised and battle-weary.  If I do that I give up all my land…and my land is me. So I have no choice but to fight.

I wish she could see the land she claims to defend is being destroyed by her.  There are regions that will never recover -- there is just too much damage.  The grass will never grow; the waters never run clear, they are gnarled outcroppings of brutality. Yet as damaged as they are she still leads battles to those pathetic places and damages them even more. These places are now filled with brambles of rusty barbed wire, craters and polluted soup that was once the lubricant of the life that lived there. She doesn't care.

I write this from a weary camp of soldiers who need to be fed.  We are shivering, our boots are worn and our supplies are low. The mystery is when I feed them, sometimes her army seems to get into the soup line too.  When I feed my army, sometimes hers gets stronger.  There are certain foods that seem to make them uber warriors and sometimes I never know what that super-food is until it is too late.  Her army is ever-changing -- mine is the same every month.  We do the best we can.  It takes so much time and money to train my army that advances in strategy are rare and sometimes dangerous -- if you get an untested army in there you never know what else they might do.  That is a chance I cannot take.  I have lost too much already.

My hope, well there are many, but I guess my primary hope is that she doesn't damage this land to the point where it is not worth defending.  I have slowed her army but there is no way to stop them. This war will never, not ever end.  It ends when the land dies and with that would go everything. They never sleep, I don't think she even has to feed them.  They live off the morsels they snatch from me.  I don't know how she does it. They flourish under the worst of circumstances.

The first thing I feel every morning is the war, the ravages of now decades of battle.  I have to live each day with the battle but not IN it.  There are times when all I can do is fight -- those times suck.  They are times when nothing else seems to matter but the fighting -- her narcissistic nature loves those times.  But each time, I have to deliberately trudge through the carnage and continue to pretend that other things matter…until they do.

So it is off to another battle again today.  Maybe this one won't be as bad as the last.  Maybe worse -- but it is mine to fight.  My army gets reinforcements soon.  Hopefully that will buy me some relative peace…they seems to have lost their edge of late but that happens from time to time.  Here's hoping they are more effective this month.  I would hate to have to change battle strategies again.  I hope she hasn't figured out how to beat this one… I am running out of options.  She never runs out of options and never has to change her strategy.  It isn't fair but this isn't a gentleman's war.  If there were rules she wouldn't follow them anyway.

Love your battle weary general…
Kyle

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Girl and Her Dog

A Girl and Her Dog